|“||In the social hierarchy of the island there are the dogs, the rats, and just below them, the prisoners.||„|
The Prisoners' Quarters is the only level one biome in the game. It is the starting point of every run and where the Prisoner stores the items he has obtained through blueprints.
A run-down stone dungeon. Moss grows on the bricks, and prison cells can be seen in the background, most of them with broken bars. Torches line the walls. Decay is a reality for this now run down prison, as any authority has long met their doom or fled elsewhere. Some of the cells, however, still house what little prisoners were (un)lucky to have survived this long.
A glass chute in the ceiling is connected somewhere above. Beheaded prisoners can often be found here, either dropped from the chute above or executed on the spot. A giant skeleton sits in the back near the chute. Up on some ledges, behind the giant skeleton, is the blueprint for the Quick Bow, accessible through rolling (the secret does not generate on the first two runs of a save file). Large glass flasks containing unlocked items hang from chains in the next room over, and the Scribe can be found nearby, taunting the player about their failures and watching over the door to the Daily Run.
The player begins here in every run, with a bow, shield, and possibly weapon provided for them. Eventually, the bottles containing the player's unlocked items can be found here, as well as the aforementioned Scribe who will provide game stats and and the occasional equips.
Loading Screen Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "In the social hierarchy of the island, there are the dogs, the rats, and just below them, the prisoners."
- "The lucky prisoners had a window in their cells... They ended up choking on the ashes from the Ossuary."
- "The prison is directly connected to the outer yard. The prisoners can choose between the rats and the crows."
Lore Encounters[edit | edit source]
- A prisoner managed to escape from their cell and left a messy message. The tangible parts of the writing reads "Don't want... contaminated... out of here... see you again. I hope. The 'Malise'. ...not infected. won't die"
- A message on the wall of an empty cell contains an unfinished message, which reads "Why... filling the prison with innoc".
- A prisoner locked in a cell can be encountered. They also can appear in Promenade of the Condemned. The prisoner first calls out to The Beheaded, only to realise who they are speaking to. They jest about the fact that they are on "the right side of the door for once", before speaking to himself about how they didn't joke around. Kicking at the door afterwards yields no response.
- The Gardener is a prisoner who commited suicide. They can also be found in Promenade of the Condemned, or the Ramparts.
- A prisoner who is locked in a flooded cell can be found here, as well as in the Ramparts. He gets The Beheaded's attention, and complains about the water. He them exclaims that he felt something touch his leg, and then they call out for help. The sounds of them being murdered by some creature is heard, before they are rendered unresponsive.
- Tom the Mushroomologist is a drug dealer, who deals psychrotrophic mushrooms to the other prisoners. He was able to turn a pretty good profit, but no signs of his current whereabouts exist.