Promenade of the Condemned
|“||Time was, you could still hear the occasional bird singing outside. Now there's nothing but the caw of the crows.||„|
The Promenade of the Condemned is a second level biome.
This area is surrounded by a forest, with a blueish colour pallet. However, among the trees are a series of cages; Some are broken, and others still remain barely intact. Wooden buildings are built into the land, extending deep underground, with elevators built into them. The once tranquil and nature filled atmosphere of these woods have been replaced by the horror of crimes against humanity itself. No bird other than the black feathered crow flies here, and the crows feast on the not yet decayed bodies of the hanged... No prisoner would wish to be sent out here.
- 1 General information
- 2 Exclusive blueprints
- 3 Enemies
- 4 Lore
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
General information[edit | edit source]
Access and exit[edit | edit source]
The Promenade can only be accessed from the Prisoners' Quarters. It has three different exits: the first is located at the far right end after using an elevator and leads to the Ramparts. Below this exit, another door leads to the Ossuary, but can only be accessed after obtaining the Teleportation rune. Finally, an underground section of the Promenade leads to the Prison Depths if the player possesses the Spider rune.
Vine rune[edit | edit source]
An Undead Archer elite can be found here who drops the Vine rune. He disappears after being defeated once.
Level characteristics[edit | edit source]
Scrolls[edit | edit source]
The Promenade of the Condemned contains 3 scrolls, including 1 Power Scroll and 2 Dual-stat scrolls, which cannot spawn in areas requiring the Teleport, Ram or Spider runes.
Enemy tier and gear level scaling[edit | edit source]
In the table below, you will find the gear level and enemy tier of the Promenade of the Condemned based on difficulty.
Boss Stem Cells rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 BSC: Skill or weapons shop
- 2 BSC: Cell container
- 3 BSC: Treasure chest
- 4 BSC: Treasure chest
Chests and loot[edit | edit source]
- There is a 10% chance of finding a Cursed Chest in the level
- Two guaranteed treasure chests are found behind 3 and 4 BSC doors
Shops[edit | edit source]
[needs confirmed data]
- There is always a shop behind a Teleportation coffin
Exclusive blueprints[edit | edit source]
Secret areas[edit | edit source]
A number of blueprints are hidden in secret areas of this level. The first is for the Assault Shield, which is behind the 2 minute timed door found in the Collector transition area before the Promenade. Two other blueprints, for the Assassin's Dagger and the Ripper mutation, are found in secret areas high above the entrance of the biome.
The Gardener's keys[edit | edit source]
A special quest in this biome requires you to find three Gardener's keys to obtain the blueprint for the Explosive Crossbow. The first two of these keys are found in an underground area and in a tower which respectively can be accessed with the Ram rune and the Spider's rune. The third key can be obtained by stomping on a potted rose lying somewhere on the floor. With the three keys, the player can unlock doors in a tower to get the blueprint. The Gardener's keys can also be swapped for Moon Flower keys in the Ramparts, Graveyard and Forgotten Sepulcher in order to unlock the Acceptance mutation in the Castle.
Enemy blueprints[edit | edit source]
Enemies[edit | edit source]
The Promenade is the only biome where one may encounter Runners, and one of the only two with Bats in the whole game. Aside from those two, the iconic enemy of this biome is the Protector, which surrounds nearby enemies with a force field, rendering them invincible. This effect makes the Promenade a hard biome on all difficulties, despite being only the second stage in the run. Another enemy which makes this biome particularly hard is the Bombardier, which replaces Grenadier above the base difficulty. Other enemies include Kamikazes and Zombies, which are replaced by Dark Trackers and Failed Experiments in higher difficulties.
In the table below, you will find which enemies are present in the Promenade of the Condemned depending on difficulty level. For each enemy, any common, uncommon, rare or legendary blueprints they carry are indicated. When applicable, the minimum difficulty level for blueprint acquisition is specified in brackets.
|Protector||Corrupted Power, Explosive Decoy, Warrior Outfit (3 BSC)|
|Bat||Knife Dance, Oiled Sword|
|Zombie||Double Crossb-o-matic, Bobby Outfit (1 BSC)|
|Grenadier||Fire Grenade, Magnetic Grenade|
|Kamikaze||Frantic Sword, Neon Outfit (1 BSC)|
|Bombardier||Powerful Grenade, Wave of Denial, Aphrodite Outfit (3 BSC)|
|Dark Tracker||Repeater Crossbow, Ninja Outfit (2 BSC)|
Lore[edit | edit source]
Alchemist Grimoires[edit | edit source]
Main Article: The Alchemist
The Alchemist's Grimoire in this area reads,
All species found in these areas seem changed. Was it the insects that spread the Malaise all over the island? This implies that insects, just like the water supply system, may have played a role in spreading the Malaise epidemic.
Orders of the King[edit | edit source]
- An order from The King to his guards says to lock up anyone showing signs of Malaise infection. This message can also be found in the Ramparts.
- An order from the King reads, "If the cells are overpopulated, use the outdoor jails or the oubliettes. Leave no suspects unsupervised." This message can also be found in the Ramparts.
- A public order by the King can be found next to hanged prisoners. It orders the imprisonment and execution of all people presenting signs of abnormal behavior or physical appearance, i.e. suspected of infection by the Malaise.
Other lore rooms[edit | edit source]
- A well can be found, which might contain rubbish and a rotting drowned corpse. The Beheaded reflects that it's no wonder people get sick when filthy stuff gets thrown in the water supply.
- In a different instance, a dead prisoner can be found in the well. He seems to have died from exhaustion and hunger as he made his way through a cavern that was below a well.
Loading screen quotes[edit | edit source]
- "It's never a good sign, being sent to the yard. Few return. When they do, they're never quite the same."
- "The charming countryside atmosphere of the forest has given way to a... less wholesome ambience."
- "Time was, you could still hear the occasional bird singing outside. Now there's nothing but the caw of the crows."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Runners used to be found in Stilt Village as well, while Bats once spawned in the Clock Tower.