Shop Variants[edit | edit source]
Three types of Shops exist in the game: the Weapon Shop, the Skill Shop, and the Food Shop. They have different shopkeepers and appearances and sell different things. While Weapon Shops and Skill Shops are bound to appear somewhere in every biome, Food Shops are only found in a few specific biomes and cannot appear randomly outside of them.
- Weapon Shops sell ranged weapons, melee weapons, and shields.
- Skill Shops sell traps, turrets, grenades, and powers.
- Food Shops sell food, flask recharges and cough syrup. Cough syrup is only sold on Nightmare and Hell difficulties and replaces the minor food item that is normally sold in lower difficulties.
Shop Upgrades[edit | edit source]
There are 2 upgrades for shops that can be unlocked by The Collector.
With the Restock general improvement, offered items can be rerolled up to 5 times for free to change what items will be sold, but will increase the prices of the offered items by 40%.
The secret upgrade, Merchandise Categories, allows the player to choose between 3 separate categories: Brutality items, Tactics items, or Survival items. When choosing one of these categories, 3 random items that correspond with the selected category will appear. Note that once one category is chosen, you cannot choose another one.
- Using one of the special Custom Mode modifiers will change the shops to how they were prior to v1.9. This will allow the player to choose between what weapon types (Melee, Ranged, Shields) or skill types (Deployable Traps, Grenades, Miscellaneous Skills) the shop will sell. Unlike most modifiers, this one does not disable Achievements.
Prices[edit | edit source]
Gear Prices[edit | edit source]
Every item sold in shops costs a certain amount of money that is determined by the item's base price, its quality, as well as its Gear Level. Items found in Food Shops always cost the same amount of money no matter what. Rerolling the items a shop has will progressively increase the cost of the items sold there by 40% every time the items are rerolled.
Below is a table that shows the added gold cost with each Gear Level as well as item quality:
- Note that shops always sell items that are 2 levels above other items found in the biome they are located in. Because of this, it is not possible for shops to sell items that are below gear level 3.
- Modifiers will also increase price based on the price multiplier of each individual affix. As such, the above table is not a true representative for the prices of items.
- The equation for shop prices is (base price + 100 • (gear level - 1)) * affix multiplier
Food Prices[edit | edit source]
Food Shop items have their own prices that is separate from gear prices. Prices for food and other healing items is always the same, regardless of biome.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
The Shopkeepers only have the same looping dialogue over and over, where they become more annoyed with the Beheaded the more they talk to him, until their dialogue resets to the beginning of their lines.
- "EVERYTHING MUST GO!"
- "What do you need?"
- "Are you going to buy something or what?"
- "You know, this is starting to get on my nerves..."
- "HEY! You gonna buy something?!"
- "Just my luck to get stuck with the island idiot."
If the player uses Custom Mode to alter the item pool and turn off every item available, the shopkeeper will give a unique line to remark it.
- "I've got nothing to offer you, scram!"
When unlocking the Vorpan:
- "Hmph... can't even find something worth cooking around here..."
- "You may as well take it. Wish you luck! ... You will need it."
- “Grilled tentacle? You, sir, are a man of great taste.”
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The shopkeepers all appear to be bound to the large bag on which they sit by a chain that is shackled to their wrist. The reasons for this are unknown. Similar NPCs, such as the Blacksmith or Guillain, do not appear to be bound by chains like the shopkeepers are.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the background of weapon and skill shops, is what appears to be the Buster Sword, a weapon wielded by the character Cloud Strife in Final Fantasy 7.
Gear • Biomes (Map) • Enemies • Bosses • Mutations • Runes • Mechanics