Please abstain from editing in info that is not on the stable branch.
|“||In the social hierarchy of the island there are the dogs, the rats, and just below them, the prisoners.||„|
The Prisoners' Quarters is the only level one biome in the game. It is the starting point of every run.
A run-down stone dungeon with mossy bricks and prison cells visible in the background — most with broken bars. Torches line the walls. Decay is a reality for this prison, as any authority has long met their doom or fled. Some cells still house what prisoners were (un)lucky to have survived this long.
- 1 Starting Area
- 2 General information
- 3 Exclusive blueprints
- 4 Enemies
- 5 Lore
- 6 References
Starting Area[edit | edit source]
A glass chute drips water and muck from the ceiling. Beheaded prisoners are found underneath, either dropped from the chute or executed on the nearby chopping block. A giant skeleton rests in the back.
In the next room over, large glass flasks for unlocked items hang from chains. The Scribe is nearby, guarding the door to the Daily Run. Below the bottles is a large glass tube for adjusting the difficulty with Boss Stem Cells. Below the tube is the door to The Tailor’s room.
The door to the right leads to the starting weapon, bow, and shield.
General information[edit | edit source]
Specialist's Showroom[edit | edit source]
The Specialist's Showroom is a special shop that always appears in the Prisoners' Quarters. Access is locked by a button in front of the door, and a teleporter is always found at its end.
The Specialist's Showroom holds items locked behind golden doors, which must be opened either by paying Gold or breaking them, suffering 50 curses.
- The Hunter's Grenade, which can be thrown to transform an enemy into an Elite and extract its blueprints.
- The Forgotten Map, which can be used once to reveal the layout of a biome.
- The blueprint for the Golden Outfit.
Level characteristics[edit | edit source]
Scrolls[edit | edit source]
The Prisoners' Quarters contains 2 Power Scrolls, which cannot spawn behind the vine leading to the Toxic Sewers.
Enemy tier and gear level scaling[edit | edit source]
Shops[edit | edit source]
There is always either one weapon or skill shop, which cannot spawn behind the vine passage.
Chests and loot[edit | edit source]
Exclusive blueprints[edit | edit source]
- Up on the ledges behind the giant skeleton is the blueprint for the Quick Bow, accessible through rolling. This secret does not generate on the first two runs of a save file.
- Starting with the third run, the Broadsword blueprint can be looted from the Tutorial Knight's corpse, by the exit to the Promenade of the Condemned.
- After killing the Hand of the King for the first time, the blueprint for the Disengagement mutation can be reached with the Homunculus Rune, above the hanging bottles.
- The blueprint for the Golden Outfit can be found in the Specialist's Showroom.
Enemies[edit | edit source]
The Prisoners' Quarters has no unique enemies; all of them can be found in other biomes.
- On the base difficulty, this level is full of Zombies, Undead Archers, Shieldbearers and Grenadiers.
- On higher difficulties, Zombies, Undead Archers and Grenadiers are replaced with Failed Experiments, Knife Throwers, and Bombardiers, respectively.
- On Very Hard, Inquisitors appear.
- On Expert, Rampagers also appear.
- On Nightmare, the Inquisitors are replaced with Arbiters.
In the table below, you will find which enemies are present in the Prisoners' Quarters depending on difficulty level. For each enemy, any common, uncommon, rare or legendary blueprints they carry are indicated. When applicable, the minimum difficulty level for blueprint acquisition is specified in brackets.
|Shieldbearer||Rampart, Bloodthirsty Shield, Desert Dweller Outfit (4 BSC)|
|Zombie||Double Crossb-o-matic, Bobby Outfit (1 BSC)|
|Grenadier||Fire Grenade, Magnetic Grenade|
|Undead Archer||Bow and Endless Quiver,|
|Inquisitor||Lightning Bolt, Vampirism, Mage Outfit|
|Knife Thrower||Great Owl of War, Legendary Warrior's Outfit (3 BSC)|
|Bombardier||Powerful Grenade, Wave of Denial,|
Lore[edit | edit source]
Malaise lore[edit | edit source]
Main article: Malaise
- A prisoner managed to escape from their cell and left a messy message. The legible parts of the writing read: "Don't want... contaminated... out of here... see you again. I hope. The 'Malise'. ...not infected. won't die"
- An unfinished message on the wall of an empty cell reads: "Why... filling the prison with innoc".
The Gardener[edit | edit source]
Other lore rooms[edit | edit source]
- A prisoner locked in a cell can be encountered here or in the Promenade of the Condemned. The prisoner first calls out to The Beheaded, only to realize who they are speaking to. They jest about the fact that they are on "the right side of the door for once", before speaking to himself about how "they" didn't mess around. Kicking the door afterwards yields no response.
- A prisoner locked in a flooded cell can be found here or the Ramparts. They get The Beheaded's attention and complain about the water. He then exclaims that he felt something touch his leg, and then calls for help. Sounds of their murder by some creature are heard, before they are rendered unresponsive.
- Tom the Mushroomologist, a drug dealer, dealt psychrotrophic mushrooms to the other prisoners. He was able to turn a pretty good profit, but no signs of his current whereabouts exist. 
Loading screen quotes[edit | edit source]
- "In the social hierarchy of the island, there are the dogs, the rats, and just below them, the prisoners."
- "The lucky prisoners had a window in their cells... They ended up choking on the ashes from the Ossuary."
- "The prison is directly connected to the outer yard. The prisoners can choose between the rats and the crows."